Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Spring Animal Blogging

There is plenty of wildlife in the Don and I thought I'd pass on a few photos that I took as well as some sent to me by friends. Just from my own journeys this spring, I've seen quite a few rabbits and chipmunks, more so than in previous years. I don't know whether this is a trend or part of a cycle.

I had a brief glimpse of a fox in the Moore Park Ravine and there are at least two families of wood ducks that have taken up residence in the Don. I have also heard of numerous deer sightings.

Marnie over at Beechwood Wetland weblog also has several good pictures of ducks, raccoons, rabbits, chipmunks, and frogs.


An Eastern Cottontail Rabbit hides in the brush near Chester Springs Marsh


I photographed a mouse (not sure what species) beside the trail just north of the viaduct


I found this snake, unfortunately dead, on the pavement of the path. Snakes like to sun themselves on the hot asphalt which makes them targets for fast moving bicycles.


Snapping turtle seen at the dirt jump (DJs) area near Crothers' Woods


This insect landed on a Goldenrod plant and was nice enough to let me take some photos of it. I'm no insect expert so if anyone knows what it is, send me a note.

3 comments:

Library Playground said...

A few months ago I spotted a chicken/rooster in the Don Valley here:

http://tinyurl.com/2fffsv

I wonder where it came from.

Marnie said...

I don't know about this bug. It's shaped like a plume moth (like these: http://mothphotographersgroup.msstate.edu/Files/Live/Living30.shtml) but the wings on your bug seem to be translucent, and I don't think that fits with a plume moth. Dragonflies have a second set of wings, so that's not it either. I give up!

Anonymous said...

Pretty sure it's a crane fly.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crane_fly