Thursday, April 26, 2007

Trumpeter Swan Spotted in the Don Valley


Trumpeter Swan (Cygnus buccinator)

I noticed this picture on one of the mountain biking forums. Someone there asked me if I knew what it was. They thought it might be a Trumpeter Swan but I thought it unlikely since these birds while native to this area were extirpated due to overhunting in the early 1900s.

I looked into it further and found out that there is a program by the Wye Marsh Wildlife Centre in Midland to reintroduce these birds into Southern Ontario. The website says that they band the birds plus attach a large yellow tag to the bird's wing. The picture shows one of these tags which I think says "915".

The bird was spotted in a pond near Crothers' Woods. I am not sure if it is a migrant or if it is looking for a nesting area but it is certainly significant that it has made its way to Toronto. It would be nice if they became reestablished here.

The wildlife centre is keeping track of where these birds show up. If you spot one you can report it using this form.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We saw this swan last night (April 25th). Wonderful to see nature coming back to the Don!

SenSei Baits Co. said...

I saw a few of these swans at Hanlans Island last summer, they were foraging in the trout pond.

john said...

Fauna? . . . have had 3 medium sized and 1 very large (400lb) buck(s) in backyard last 2 weeks. Large sets of horns too! Come right up on patio or lie on grass and don't move when I go outside. Have always had does (mommies)--one with a fawn. Have photos, 1 movie, witnesses. Algonquin Park? No! Don Mills north of York Mills. Property abuts the East Don.