Sunday, February 19, 2006

Who Exactly are "THEY"?

WARNING: THE FOLLOWING POSTING MIGHT END UP SOUNDING CYNICAL AND PREACHY

I attend a lot of events with the Don display. Earth Day events, environment shows, school events, etc. A good thing about these events is that people actually know what and where the Don River is. But it never ceases to amaze me that people insist on ranting about "they": "They should really clean the tires out of the river"; "They've got to do something about that smell"; "Why don't they clean up the Don?" I always wonder who exactly these phantom "theys" are. Actually, it's YOU that should help clean the tires out of the river, it's YOU that's causing the smell in the Don by having a manicured lawn and downspouts and super flush toilets and a concrete driveway and walkway, and it's YOU that can actually play a big part in cleaning up the river. Lot level solutions can go far but instead of actually putting words in to action, it's easier to place the blame firmly on THEM.
This isn't everyone of course, there are tons of people who come out for plantings and actually understand the connection between water in the home and water in the Don, so sorry if you're one of these people and I thank you most sincerely for all your efforts. You're helping more than you probably know. But if anyone runs across a roving pack of THEYs in the Don or perhaps THEY're busy cleaning another watershed somewhere, please let me know. I have another job for them.

Excuse me while I remove my little preachy hat, it's getting steamy under here.

No comments: